“With No Labels, the Democratic maverick is still trying to foil liberals and challenge the party — even if that means threatening to throw a wrench into the 2024 campaign.”
Qs: Are Joe Manchin + No Labels positioned to impact the Dem Party’s choice of candidate for president (eg, someone not named Biden)? Would, and could, they? Is the No Labels agenda too bland to attract enough votes to change the outcome?
Here’s what we suggested during 2020 election:
- Raise minimum wage with annual COLA (option: give states some leeway to adjust ↓ to reflect cost of living/labor).
- Five PAID sick days annually for ALL workers.
- 100% of Americans with health coverage by 2025 – with strong cost controls (any number of payers will work).
- Universal retirement savings system with minimum $500 annual government contribution (thus, all Americans own working capital, have stake in market economy).
- No surprise medical bill >$500.
- Cut cost of college/expand apprenticeship programs.
- Improve Social Security benefits for bottom 50%. Achieve long term solvency through higher taxes mostly on top 20%.
This piece was scheduled to run as an op-ed in a Washington newspaper but got pulled because a draft was sighted on our website (oops).